The 24 Hour Game Experiment – Conclusion

Well… the experiment is over.  I’m sure it comes to no surprise to most of you, that I did not finish the game in time.  I think realistically I would need another 72 man hours to make this game sell-able.  The problem is that it took me about 2 weeks to get in just 24 man hours and by the time I put in another 72 it would be way too late to get the game out for the holiday rush.  Not to mention some of the publishers I’ve contacted say that their queues are already jam-packed for the rest of the year.

With that being said, the project wasn’t a total waste.  Here are my observations:

The Good:

  • I was able to include mouse-controlled game play, splash screens, menu, credits (all with screen transitions and some with final artwork), in 24 man hours.  That’s a huge accomplishment and quite frankly a credit to Torque Game Builder.
  • I think a Christmas-themed game was a good choice from a sell-ability standpoint.  My thought here was that it should be easier sell a ‘less complex’ game when it is properly themed.  I don’t think anyone buys a Christmas game expecting to play it for months and months.
  • I found a really cool site for generic vector graphics that can be reused in games (I found out that not all royalty-free sites have this type of licensing option).  www.VectorStock.com

The Bad:

  • 24 hours is obviously too short a time to finish a game.  I half knew this going in, but ‘The 96 Hour Game Experiment’ just doesn’t have the same ring to it :grin:
  • I started the experiment way too late in the year to get a Christmas-themed game to market (especially with me being extremely part time).
  • I underestimated the amount of time it takes to test the game’s fun factor and throw away parts that aren’t fun and come up with/test new ideas.  This is where I spent the final hours.

The Ugly:

  • Another unfinished project gets put on the shelf :mad: (at least until next year)

Overall, I’m glad I did the experiment and I hope to do another one at some point next year (with more realistic expectations).  This project made me realize how much I really can get done in such a short amount of time and that maybe being a part-timer isn’t the best way to go.  I’ll be putting some serious thought into how I can devote more of my time to game development in the near future.  For now, its back to working on my MMO…

I hope you enjoyed following along with the experiment and decide to stay tuned to see what’s next!

Comments are closed.